Monday, June 27, 2016

S G POST: Follow-Up 6/27/16 Six months of Nortrip

      I have now been off Nortriptyline for 6 1/2 months and all is good except for occasional fullness in my right ear.  I continue to not have any alcohol or foods with chemicals and only eat small amounts of avocado, citrus, cheese and chocolate.  I not only do not drink regular coffee but I have finally figured out (accepted) that even brewed decaf will excite the nerves in my head.  I do tolerate Mount Hagen Instant Decaffeinated Coffee and Rooibus Tea, all of which I order on Amazon.  (See my Food List)
     So far, I have noticed that small amounts of rotated "problem" food triggers are tolerated.  I have 6-8 chocolate chips a day.  I have a half of an orange once or twice a week.  I eat 1 or 2 eggs a week.  A little "Natural Flavor" in a food item does not seem to cause a problem.  I eat 1/2 ounce of cheese every other day.  A quarter cup of Greek yogurt does not bother me although too much dairy causes allergy symptoms and makes ear fullness worse.  I take Nasonex or Allegra for this issue, probably once a week.  I can tolerate some wine added to Marinara sauce and I am okay with a little wine vinegar added to salad dressings.  Two chips with 1 tablespoon of guacamole is fine.  Please note, however, I do a lot of cooking at home and use fresh ingredients.   I make my own salad dressings, chicken broth (and freeze it), red sauces and cookies.  I do not use packaged mixes for rice, pasta or soups.  We rarely eat out in restaurants.  I am so happy that 1/2 ounce of chocolate does not have enough caffeine to bother me. But, too much sugar at one sitting will definitely aggravate my symptoms.  A half cup of Carrot Juice (Organic from Costco) gives me a little extra energy but some days I am just plain tired.  I put my head down for 15-20 minutes for a cat nap and that helps. 
     For the last 9 months I have been preparing for my younger son's wedding.  Of course it has been stressful and fatiguing but so far I have not had any vertigo.  The wedding weekend included three late nights of activities and lots of work on my part.  The temperature hit 98 degrees.  I rested when I could, stayed away from caffeine and "too much" of other people's food and, so far, no negative reactions other than fatigue.
I go for my 50 minute walks, alone, at 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon and wear a sombrero hat.  I have begun riding the recumbent bike at the gym for 40 minutes where there is a fan.  July has always been a bad month for me, as the heat increases.  My hot flashes return and that is when I end-up in the ER.  I hope being totally off brewed decaf and coffee will help.  I may have to reduce my exercise program if the heat exacerbates the problem.  We'll see!!
     Good news.  I found a new product at the market to help keep us cool.  Healthy Choice came out with 2 new Popsicles with only 5-7 ingredients in each and I tolerated them well.  One is" Mango Peach" and the other is  "Fudge Bar".  No preservatives.  Life is good.
     The wedding was wonderful, my vertigo is currently at bay and I have new "okay" popsicles to cool me off.  I hope the heat of August and September do not trigger my decline.  My regular doctor gave me a few Valium to take, just in case.  That is what the ER gives me when I end up there.  I will let you know what the summer heat brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment