Thursday, September 10, 2015

S G Blog Post: CONVENIENCE COOKING

     Cooking your own food, all the time, three meals a day, can be quite a drag.  I would like to do more cooking but often I am just too tired - especially since  I have to go through my days caffeine free.
     So, some time ago I started adding items to my kitchen inventory that made my prep life much easier and even more fun (or just novel).  I gear what I cook to these items and my burden of "a special diet" has been eased.  Here is what I found useful:

1. The "Fasta Pasta" microwave pasta cooker.  It is easier, quicker and safer (I know, I sound like an infomercial but it's true) than boiling water on the stove.  It makes every type of pasta and you drain it right in the cooking utensil.  I purchased it at Amazon  (Click Here for Fasta Pasta)

2. The Immersion Blender -  It is so much easier to blend soups and sauces (like marinara or enchilada) or make pretty vegetable purees right in the pot rather than transferring food to the food processor or blender.  There is much less clean-up and waste for sure.  I use the Kitchen Aid Immersion Blender which has been great for many years but I have not recently checked ratings on these blenders.  I am so glad I rediscovered it in my drawer.

Flickr.com

3.  Crock Pot -  I am late to discovering these handy items.  They work great for brisket, stews and soups.  I like that you can make food in quantity and freeze for later use.  And the food is ready when you arrive home.  It does not heat up the house in the warm months which is a real feature.  I like the top rated "Crock Pot" Programmable Slow Cooker with Countdown Control and stove top safe cooking pot (you can sear in the pot) which is a 6 quart capacity.  I like the recipes at:  Skinnytaste (Click Here and then click Crock Pot Recipes)362 Days of Slow Cooking   ( Click Here), and the Food Network  (Click Here)

4.  Thermapen -  A few years ago I invested in a Thermapen.  Actually, I asked for it for a holiday gift and I just love it.  I know exactly when food is done  and so it cuts down cooking time.  My chicken breasts and steaks are no longer over cooked on the stove, in the oven or on the grill.  I can test the turkey at many different parts.  I do not under cook or dry out meatloaf.   It was a wonderful gift and I use it all the time.  The one by Thermoworks is the highly rated "Thermapen".  I cannot vouch for the less expensive ones by other companies.

5.  Breville Compact Smart Oven -  This is the $140 toaster oven par excellence.  You can make  chicken and meatballs and fish and bake small casseroles in much less time because the oven is small.  It does not heat up the kitchen.  You can pan grill steaks and finish them in the toaster oven if they are thick.  You can roast vegetables ( I got the larger, 8.5" x 10" non-stick roasting sheet at Bed and Bath).   Baked yams are wonderful and creamy.   And it makes great toast and bagels.  It does not take the long preheat time that my larger oven requires (20 minutes).  It is most useful for up to four people.  We bought it last June at Amazon for our anniversary.      
flickr.com


6.  Sistema Microwave Rice Steamer   - This is so convenient and wonderful.  It makes quinoa, couscous and all kinds of rice.  You do have to learn the water/rice/time ratio for your microwave.  I need more water in mine for the amount of Brown rice and time given. I have a 1200 w microwave so I set the power level at 8 instead of 10.  Just make notes.  White and brown rice are always perfect.  The clean-up is quicker and there is no hardened  dribble on your cook top to clean; just a little on the glass plate in your microwave.    (Click Here)  

     Our life is certainly no longer carefree.   Having a few gadgets to make cooking easier is helpful.   I wonder what else is out there???  (Buy the chicken already 
 cooked!!!)

(CLICK HERE FOR EASY INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS) 

No comments:

Post a Comment