Tuesday, August 18, 2015

S G BLOG Posts: It's Complicated (and Stressful)

                                     

     Last week I did everything wrong.  But let's back up.  For the previous five days before last weekend I was under stress.  I had paid for and was taking an online computer class to learn a new program.   Just so you know, I was not born into the world of computers - I came late, as an adult.  So when it's time to learn something new I need my hand held, I need someone to translate the foreign language that invariably arises and I painstakingly have to type, edit, view,  delete and type again many times.  There is much trial and error; a lot of frustration. This is what they call "stressful".  So the slight flurries of vertigo were now hovering.   All of a sudden I had to limit my time at the computer (reduce eye motion), not lower my head to read a book or follow a recipe (look down and move eyes right and left), not whiz around my kitchen (throwing my head around), focus straight ahead on my walk and not linger under fluorescent lights at Cost Plus or Target.  I had to refrain from loud talking at noisy restaurants (too much nerve stimulation).  I was a little nauseous and slightly dizzy when I got out of bed in the morning.  Later, after I walked around, this would subside.  Worry set in - would I have to go back on Nortriptyline (Ugh).  I called the doctor's office on Friday and left a message.  I would not hear from his assistant until next Monday.

     My right ear, the bad one in terms of hearing loss, tinnitus and fullness, was now filling up with pressure.  My balance was really off.  This was not good news for me because we were going to Los Angeles for two days (one night).  We were to have lunch with new friends on Friday afternoon.  We had organized a birthday dinner for my older son's fiance on Friday evening.  We were to stay at a lovely hotel for the one night.  And on Saturday we had a full day of driving to look at a possible wedding venue, visit with my younger son's girlfriend's family and then take the "kids" to lunch.  We hit traffic going to and coming from LA - one hour and 15 minutes each way (on a non-holiday and non-Dodger Saturday!).

     So on already shaky ground (forgive the pun), I added more stress, a change in routine, MSG laced restaurant food (flavor enhancers), fluorescent lights all over the place, hours driving in the moving car, fatigue, limited hydration and possible tyramine ingredients in my meals.  The new friend made a beautiful, fresh red plum tart.  I had to take a small taste as she had been so kind to not put any raw onions in the "lentil" (a no-no) salad.   And don't forget a little caffeine from the chocolate desserts we all shared at dinner.  And what was in the Gelato for dessert on Saturday?  With all this socializing, I was certainly  talking all weekend.  Did I mention LA was experiencing a heat wave in the 80's?  We drove home Saturday evening.

     By Sunday night, I was having several little bouts of vertigo.  I had to focus and stare for it to subside.   I could not read or use the computer.  My stomach was a mess. I had a vibration in my face and could feel a tingling in my lips.  My eyes and neck hurt.  I had to sleep on two pillows.   It took 4-5 days of being on a strict diet, reducing stress, limiting my time on the computer and reading, not dropping my head down, reduced talking, drinking lots of water ( 64 ounces per day) and sitting in front of a fan for my symptoms to disappear.

     When things get bad, I take an Allegra (antihistamine) or use Nasonex.  They both help for some reason.  But I only do this once in a while because I am worried about any rebound. 

     This silent migraine condition is very complicated but there seems to be a way to resolve the symptoms by strictly believing and adhering to the rules.  This will raise threshold levels and minimize the effects of small triggers.  For me, stress (change in routine, worries, fatigue, frustrations, to much head motion) and heat and dehydration are big triggers.  And I have always had more troubles in the summer months.  Caffeine, unfortunately, is up there also.  Small amounts of  food violations at home are not as critical but I must be very careful with restaurant food.  They seem to load any protein item with a marinade or "natural flavor" enhancers.

     The year ahead will have much out of my control:  many trips to LA, lots of family activities, possibly a wedding and certainly much head motion, fatigue and many food triggers.  There is one thing, though, I can regulate - no more computer classes for awhile.. 

     
     .
    

No comments:

Post a Comment